Have you wondered ‘What is smart cooking technology? and how can it help me in the kitchen?
Well, if you’re into your home gadgetry at all, then it’s likely you may already have a few bits and pieces which connect to one another. The modern age has brought forward the Internet of Things, or IoT! For those of us out of the loop, this refers to everyday objects which communicate with one another to help make things more efficient in our everyday lives.
For example, you might have technology for lighting in your property which connects to a hub such as an Amazon Echo. This means that you can voice control the lights in your home instead of having to fiddle around with physical switches. Naturally, the rise of smart house technology has swept through all rooms of the home, and with the kitchen being one of the most commonly used spaces from day to day, it was only going to be a matter of time before our kitchen devices started talking to one another, too!
In this guide, we’ll be taking a look at what smart kitchen devices are out there for you to invest in right now. What’s more, we’ll be considering ways in which you can set up a connected kitchen on a budget. Believe it or not, smart home tech is becoming cheaper and cheaper to invest in. Therefore, why not take the time to look into a smart oven and other kitchen bits and pieces?
Take a look at our complete guide below, and do make sure to read our various buying guides and reviews elsewhere, too, for a full lowdown on the latest and greatest smart kitchen gadgets.
What is Smart Cooking Technology?
Smart kitchen is exactly as it sounds – smarter, more efficient kitchen management. This means that you can now manage your everyday kitchen devices through apps on your phone, through voice control, and even through complete automation.
For example, you could invest in a smart kitchen app that allows you to power on your coffee maker when you first get up. You could even use an app or vocal control features to preheat your oven when it gets to a specific time of day. There are even smart kitchen dives such as modern cookers and ovens which will switch off for you once your timer runs out.
If there are ways in which you could help make your daily running that little bit smoother when in the kitchen, then there is likely to be a gadget or appliance or two out there which will help you. Smart kitchen app gadgetry isn’t just for tech-heads, either! There are plenty of services and appliances you can use which are really easy to get started with. The very best in smart cooking technology is easy to control through your smartphone or tablet, for example.
Smart cooking is all about making your kitchen work for you, and not the other way round. While you may not think that running your kitchen appliances is too tricky or time consuming on the whole, it may surprise you as to just how much hassle you can shave off your day just by switching to a few smart devices and appliances.
What Can Smart Appliances Do?
What can’t they do? Smart appliances in the kitchen can connect to homehubs such as the Amazon Echo and the Google Home devices, which will connect to the internet to find recipes, or even to upgrade your equipment. Essentially, you can treat your smart kitchen fixtures much like your own kitchen PA or helper!
You’ll find that many appliances with smart wifi connectivity will come with intuitive temperature control, for example. Your smart sous vide will know when to turn off once it reaches temperature. You’ll be able to tweak your smart coffee machine to make brews the way you like them. You’ll even be able to tweak your precision cooker and other kitchen gadgets to heat up and cook for you based on unique recipe and food profiles.
A smart oven, for example, will switch to grill mode on your request, from afar, if you have sausages or steaks good to go. One of the best reasons for investing in smart kitchen devices is the fact that you’ll be able to control anything from an instant pot to a toaster from anywhere in the house. You won’t have to worry about whether you’ve turned the oven off when you’ve left the house, as you could program it to switch off automatically, or you can even switch it off with a few swipes and taps from your smart device.
It’s all fascinating to think about. IoT is only set to get bigger and better in the years to come, too, meaning that now really is a great time to be investing in the best kitchen appliances on a smart basis. It might seem a little confusing at first, however, smart tech and IoT is much easier to get into than many people imagine.
Keep reading, as we are going to be looking at some of the most popular and most impressive smart kitchen devices and apps available for you to invest in right now.
Smart Appliance Pros
- Consistent temperatures – perfect food every time
- Reduced energy bills
- Whilst your food cooks, you can do something else
Smart Appliance Cons
- Power cuts
- Losing your mobile
What Are Some Examples of Smart Kitchen Appliances?
Whether you’d like to control your whole kitchen by app, or simply want your devices to talk to one another, it makes sense to look closely at what’s out there. If you really have no idea where to start when it comes to stocking out a kitchen with the best and the latest in smart home tech, we’re here to help.
Here are just a few of the great smart connected kitchen systems you can invest in right now, and how they can help to make your life easier in the long run.
- Smart Instant Pot Cookers – instant pot cookers are already fantastic at helping to cook up recipes for you with minimal effort. However, a slow cooker with the ability to stew and broil from voice command alone is going to make things even easier. The best one pot cookers with smart access will allow you to set programs via app as well as with your voice and on-console.
- Smart Kitchen Scales – a smart scale system won’t just tell you how much a given item weighs, but will even help you measure and weigh precisely for a specific recipe. This means that you can program it to tell you when you’ve added enough flour or sugar to a mixing bowl, for example. Again, this is all thanks to the wonderful power of the internet!
- Smart Fridges – what exactly can a smart fridge do? Smart fridge tech from the likes of Samsung might not always help you with the cooking side of things, but the manufacturer understands that the fridge freezer is always likely to be the hub of any kitchen space. That’s why you can invest money in systems which will connect directly to music streaming and home assistants, as well as offer you a digital note taking system. This is going to be much easier for storing recipes and shopping lists on, for example!
- Smart Cookers and Ovens – the sheer amount of smart cooker tech out there is impossible to cover completely in one short bullet point, so we’ll keep this brief. You can buy cookers which you can control via app, meaning that you can preheat from the lounge of even the bathroom providing you have a phone to hand. There are even ovens out there with smart temperature control, which will cut out when things are hot enough. You may even find some standalone ovens which will come with cameras built in – meaning that you can see how your food is cooking even from a completely different room! Best of all, you can make sure the oven is always switched off, whether you’re heading out for a while or going up to bed.
Smart Coffee Machines – a smart brewer is able to learn how you like your coffee on a morning, and what’s more, you’ll be able to set it going at a certain time of day. This means that, as soon as you wake up, all you need to do is head downstairs and there will be a lovely, warming cup of joe ready for you. There are systems out there which even connect to home hubs and assistants such as the Amazon Echo, too, which means that you can set up routines and plans.
- Smart Toasters – yes, even toaster manufacturers are getting in on the game. You can use an app on your phone to control how brown you’d like your toast! What’s more, there are smart toasters out there which will cook your bread in triple-quick time. Believe it or not, there are even toasters which will connect to the internet and print what the weather’s going to be like on your toast. You could just look at the weather app on your phone – but where’s the fun in that?
- Smart Precision Cooker Tools – precision cooking, whether through sous vide or otherwise, will often need a keen eye and a steady hand. However, smart cooking technology aims to make things easier for you even in this regard. You can invest in a sous vide which will know when it’s reached your optimum temperature, or a separate thermometer which will alert you when your dish is at your desired heat. This will alert you through your phone or through your home hub assistant, for example. You can even buy smart pan stirrers, too! A watched pot never boils – take advantage of this turn of phrase and let IoT handle it all for you!
- Smart Temperature Utensils – if you’re sick of your coffee or tea going cold by the time you come to drink it, you can invest in mugs and cups which will actively measure the temperature and get things back up to heat for you to the extent you desire. This means, again, you can control your coffee via app – is there anything you can’t do through an app these days? Maybe not.
Are There Any Downsides to Smart Cooking?
Smart home devices really are emerging into the mainstream these days, and with our lives getting more hectic and busier than ever before, it’s hard to deny that smart cooking services are hugely desirable. Providing you have wi-fi available at home, through broadband for example, you’ll be able to connect your cooking devices together to help make things smarter and more efficient. We’ve even reviewed plenty of smart devices for cooking through our buying guides – there is a sous vide or two out there, for example, which can help you to maintain precision heat through wi-fi! And why not?
Some people may not want to invest in smarter cooking technology for the fact that they prefer to have full control. There are, of course, going to be cooking aficionados amongst us who prefer to monitor our meals the old-fashioned way. There’s also the school of thought which suggests that this technology has a long way to go, and that it’s not worth investing yet until things get a lot more impressive.
However, why should you wait? If you’re finding that you spend more time than you’d like in the kitchen these days, and want to free up some space in your schedule, then it surely makes sense to look for a few wi-fi enabled services. You’ll find from reviews online that there are plenty of systems and services out there which are well-rated. The fact is, we’re living in the age of smarter technology – the ‘home of the future’ is very much on the horizon!
Isn’t Smart Cooking Expensive?
No – not always! While you can expect to pay a few thousand pounds for some of the flashiest and fanciest tech such as a smarter fridge freezer, you won’t have to spend too much of your hard-earned money on a coffee pot that you can control from your phone. What’s more, as an absolute base, you’ll find that home assistant devices such as the Echo and Google Homehub retail for less than £100. These devices are also great for multiple purposes elsewhere, too, such as for playing music or managing calendars.
You’re going to need to do some serious shopping around – that would be our advice in this regard. If you check out our buying guides to the best cookers, coffee machines and more, you’ll find that there are plenty of modern, smarter devices which retail for less than you may imagine. Be sure to compare pricing and reviews from verified buyers, too. These reviews will help you to work out whether or not you’re putting money into something worthwhile.
Do consider your needs. There’s no need to invest in tech for the sake of it if it’s going to bend your budget. Therefore, think about ways in which you can make your daily kitchen routines that little more efficient. Could you use a little bit of extra support when it comes to cooking to temperature? What about keeping an eye on your dishes from another room? It’s fascinating to see what tech can do these days, but don’t feel compelled to throw your money away if you don’t see a specific problem.
Is This the Future of the Modern Kitchen?
It’s safe to say that more and more of use are moving towards IoT through all rooms of our homes. many of us have invested in assistant devices which we use to manage our entertainment systems and TVs. Many of us depend on these systems to make sure that we keep our lights turned down low and that we save money on energy expenditure.
What’s more, there doesn’t seem to be any sign of this side of the industry slowing down. Projections show that IoT and connected homes are going to become more commonplace than ever in the years to come. The fact is, we now seem to be living in the future that we dreamed of in the 1950s and 1960s! We’re not quite at the point where we’re living like The Jetsons, but who’s to say we won’t have that level of technological marvel in the years to come? Robot maids or not, our homes are becoming more and more convenient. Who would have thought that switching an oven on and off by hand would have become a labour?
Therefore, we really do think the modern kitchen is moving towards a smarter future. That’s obvious right now – look at how many people are investing in home hubs and connected services! Your kitchen is one of the most commonly used spaces in your home. Surely it makes sense to make it as efficient as possible?
Don’t be scared about smarter home technologies. It’s here to help. Take a look through our reviews and blog. Invest in tech that’s going to make your life easier!